Sunday, January 12, 2014

Friends of Bill W Daily Reflections JANUARY 12

 JANUARY 12
ACCEPTING OUR PRESENT CIRCUMSTANCES
Our very first problem is to accept our present cir-
cumstances as they are, ourselves as we are, and the people
about us as they are. This is to adopt a realistic humility
without which no genuine advance can even begin. Again
and again, we shall need to return to that unflattering point
of departure. This is an exercise in acceptance that we can
profitably practice every day of our lives. 
Provided we strenuously avoid turning these realistic
surveys of the facts of life into unrealistic alibis for apathy
or defeatism, they can be the sure foundation upon which
increased emotional health and therefore spiritual progress
can be built. 
AS BILL SEES IT, p. 44 

When I am having a difficult time accepting people, places
or events, I turn to this passage and it relieves me of many
an underlying fear regarding others, or situations life
presents me. The thought allows me to be human and not
perfect, and to regain my peace of mind. 

--
--
Pattaya and Jomtien - Friends of Bill W
 
e-mail us at - aainthailand@gmail.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "AA in Thailand" group.
To post to this group, send email to aa-in-thailand@googlegroups.com.

1 comment:

  1. “And acceptance is the answer to all my problems today. When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, thing or situation -- some fact of my life -- unacceptable to me, and I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment.”—Paul O

    After John 3:16, it may be one of the most quoted passages ( http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/tools/a/102297.htm ) in literature. It's from Page 449 (first 3 editions, pg. 417 in the 4th edition) of Alcoholics Anonymous or The Big Book as it is widely known.

    My wife and I have enjoyed parallel journeys in recovery and in our early recovery it seems that every time we turned around one of our trusted people was telling us to read page 449 in the big book. It’s on page 417 in the fourth edition. What they were really telling us of course was something like ‘you need to get out of the God seat’. On and AA spiritual retreat in Phoenix Arizona we had the pleasure of hearing Paul O the author of this story in the book speaks to us. This small in stature aging man was a spiritual giant for many of us.
    Another was Father Martin which we were privileged to have share with us in Atlanta Georgia. In that session he told of a person who prayed to God that he wished to be a doctor and God replied, “Go to medical school”!

    Ah! The riches and blessings in Alcoholics Anonymous.

    ReplyDelete